Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Too Hot to Sail

Monday was miserable. Due to conflicts George did not sail the morning. It took every motivation I had to get off the hammock and rig the MC. Temps were in the mid 90's, winds were in the 0-5 range with moments of 10 and 60 degree shifts. Fouth of July boat traffic created a chop tank too. Luckily the race course was TINY. I'd measure the windward leg in yards not miles. It was typical of a Jr. Sialing Laser course from years gone by.

After the long miserable sail out to the first start I had drained all my water. Start 1 was right favored at 3 minutes to go but heavily left favored at the start. I started at the boat and tacked quickly but still found myself in fourth at the top mark. While they sailed high to stay East I sailed low straight at the mark. I rounded 1 boat length in front while all four other boats rounded together behind me. Their mess allowed me to scoot away for the win.

Race 2 was even lighter. I found tiny slivers of wind to get around the top first. As soon as I rounded the wind died. We drifted in 0-1 from nowhere for a leg plus a bit. When the wind filled in I was stil ahead and got it first. After the win we decided to use what little wind was left to sail home.

Final finished for the weekend: last, first, first, second, first, first, first. I wish it were like figure skating where the high and low scores were dropped. Oh well.

I drank most of the lake, used half a bottle of sunscreen, and still feel like I was cooked all weekend. Not too much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment