Thursday, January 20, 2011

2011 Season is Starting

I am confirmed to sail my first regatta of the year, the Train Wreck regatta in Lake Eustice, FL, the first weekend in February. At this regatta last year I purchased my boat. For this one, I hope to borrow a boat. I just so happen to be in Jacksonville for a businss trip. What a coincidence.


In the off season athletes train constantly to keep in tip top shape. The schedule for training may be easier in the off season with a bit more relaxed approaches. With me, I emphasized the relaxed approach more than the exercise. So I am completely and totally out of shape. I did get reading glasses for the first time in my life.

Time to kick-start the season. I'm going to drop a few ponds before the event, and maybe even start some sort of exercise plan. Yeah... I think I will. Sure.

So if I can find the money, time, and approval, my plan is to sail this regatta schedule:

  • 2/5-2/6 Train Wreck, Lake Eustice, FL
  • 4/30-5/1 Cow Town Classic, Hoover SC, OH
  • 5/14-5/15 Scowabunga, Privateer YC, TN
  • 6/4-5 MC Horse Race, Saratoga, NY (new this year!)
  • 8/4-8/7 Western Michigans, Crystal Lake, MI (tentative)
  • 9/10-9/11 nor'Easterns, Keuka Lake, NY
  • 9/14-9/17 National Championships, Keuka Lake, NY
  • 9/24-9/25 MCSA Blue Chip Championship, Spring Lake, MI (if I qualify)
  • 10/1-10/2 Cowan Scow'n, Cowan Lake, OH (probably not though)

Now that I have all this on one page, it is a lot, maybe too much. but I'm not getting any younger. I've always wanted to do a full campaign. Maybe this year is the year. But it means I will miss most of the marching band season, which I really enjoy as much as sailing. It's my kid after all!

I'll have to ponder. Maybe early season success will convince me to persist. Or early season flops will teach me I'm just a local hack sailor and should stay with that.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment