Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bad Ending

The day started with no wind, built a bit and the Race Committee sent us out. The line was good, the air was OK, light at 3-6 maybe with a few 2-3 areas. I wanted to start center line just getting on the front row. I got caught up with a novice sailor and had to spin out and duck. That put me 30 seconds late for my plan and I ended up bailing to the pin. I won the pin but it was very much the wrong side of the course. The right shift came soon after the start. I took sterns trying to get right. I ended up about 25th place at the top mark, very bad.

The wind started easing up to make downwind very frustrating. The second upwind I needed a miracle so I banged a corner, and lost ground. There were 6 boats behind me.

By the top mark the wind was 0-1 from nowhere. We drifted the last two legs. I drifted better than many around me and clawed my way back to a 22nd place.

I ended up losing the tiebreaker for 8th overall, 2 points out of 6th, 7 points out of 4th. Like golf, you remember the last hole more than the entire day. I walk away from this regatta with a rough feeling that I blew it. All I had to do was follow around a hot shot and finish 12th or so to get 4th overall.

People say "Ah well, it's a lesson learned." I'm 46. I should have learned that lesson long ago.

I almost had a good start to the season. Instead I have a bitter taste from a lame start.

Next regatta is possibly April.

Between now and then I am concentrating on Indoor Drumline season.

No comments:

Post a Comment