Monday, May 30, 2011

Season Opener

Ten boats on the line! It was a delayed start while the fleet had a meeting. We only got in three races. Before the first race in South 5-10 winds, I did some speed testing with Brent Gillette. We did essentially one lap. I can tell you he is fast.

Race 1 started well enough. Off the line I went left with Brent Gillette. We rounded first and second. I picked him up downwind and went on to win.

Race 2 was more challenging. The wind was getting light and spotty. My start was lame but ok. I went left again, contrary to typical local conditions. I rounded something like fifth, picked up a couple downwind, and charged on the final leg to just miss getting second, ending up third. Brent Penwarden with his son on board won the race.

Race 3 showed an obvious right favor. I won the boat and immediately tacked. then was called over. I restarted by looping around the boat and stuck with my plan to go right. I got lucky that others wanting to go right got forced left. I rounded second just behind Sean Tracey. Going into the top mark I decided I wanted the West side going downwind so I set up to jibe the windward mark. I spun hard to get inside Sean. I picked him up downwind rounding the bottom mark first. I went way West and actually overstood the finish badly due to a shift. Regardless I won the race.

Monday the wind never came up so there were no races. I finished putting a roof on the porch.

So the coolest part of the day Sunday was that there were a number of crews out there. We also had a newbie, E-Scow sailor William Hudson. He did well for his first races in the boat. I certainly do look forward to more crowded starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment