Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day

The wind was up and down all day yesterday. My wife and I finished putting shingles on the porch roof late morning. After lunch I rigged the MC-Scow for the afternoon races. While I was rigging it my daughter helped me out a bit. I asked if she wanted to go sail with me, knowing full well that would never happen. Minutes later she was ready with a water bottle and life jacket.

We sailed about two miles to the start. The wind was 2-5 from the Northwest, and we had 340 pounds on the boat. This should be fun. We won the pin and port tacked the fleet. Okay, maybe not as dramatic as that. There were three other boats and we beat them off the line. We were first to the mark by quite a bit. Then I sailed into a hole and ended up even with last at the bottom mark.

Going into the bottom mark, about 10-15 lengths away on port, I cut across the stern of another boat on starboard, dove inside him and gained the overlap with about 5 lengths to go. I thought that was a cool move that would impress my daughter. "Dad! That was a dick move!" So much for impressing a 17-year-old.

We closed the gap to the leader to seconds but never got around him again. Still it was high fives on the boat.

My wife was watching by power boat. She gave my daughter the option to get off the boat. She stayed with me. What a mistake. Right after my wife left in the powerboat, the wind died, the races were called and we had 2 miles to go to get home. We were well past half way there after an hour when we got a tow from a friend. Still it was great to be out there with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment