Monday, June 25, 2012

June Club Sailing

Two weekends ago I sailed a couple E-Scow races in heavy air, then one of the two MC races in heavy air. All three finishes were firsts. But all three were tough on my body. It is painfully obvious I am not in shape to sail middle man on an E in a blow. In the MC race I came from 4th at the last mark to win the race with 4 boats finishing within 10 seconds. But my arms gave out. The wind was still peaking over 20 so I dropped out of the second race.

Yesterday the Lightnings were finishing up their regatta in the morning. We sailed MCs in the afternoon but I'm not sure they were official races. Regardless we had three good 2-lap races with lots of passing and real challenging wind shifts. For example we rounded the top mark of a race with 4 boats overlapped. Downwind Bob Cole and I stayed on starbaord and headed toward the east side of the course chasing strong wind on the water. Three other boats went west into flatter water. They picked up a huge west shift and inverted the racing order completely. Then upwind the way to go was real East. Very strange.

I had finishes yesterday of 3, 2, 1 which if they count I think puts me back in the lead for the pre-season standings. Sean Tracey had a great day with two easy wins and a come from behind to almost beat me in the last race. It was a fun sailing day.

We may have also convinced a local sailor to buy Brent Gilette's MC-Scow keeping it in the fleet. That would be good.

Next week I think starts the season. But with July 4 on a Wednesday, I'm not sure. It may be the week after. So far we have had a pretty good sailing season. Let's hope it continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment