Tuesday, January 12, 2010

STEP 1: Admit you have a problem

I've threatened to do it for years, and now I have. I started a BLOG. Yikes.

I figured it was about time. And I just decided to get back into competitive sailing. So maybe this will be interesting for more people than my family. We'll see.

About 10 years ago I stopped skippering my own
E-Scow and started crewing with others. My talent exceeded my funds making it very frustrating. I think the best I did was about 26th in Nationals, never getting invited to the year-end regatta for the hot-shots. So I joined on with others who had deeper pockets finally joining with the best sailor (after me) on Keuka to place pretty high on the national stage. But even winning the Eastern Championships still wasn't as satisfying as I hoped. I kept "retiring" and sailing much less. I still have my E-Scow but it is idle most of the time.

So I put on weight (30 pounds), lost any semblance of fitness and grew into a middle-aged blob. I have a problem.

The solution: start sailing a boat I can afford but also a boat that won't tip over every time I stand on the thing. The boat I selected is the
MC-Scow.

Two days ago I agreed to purchase MC-Scow # 2470. So the first weekend in February I buy my boat in Lake Eustis, FL, and drag it home. I will post during the trip, and throughout my attempt to regain the glory of my youth.

That's the plot of this blog. The subplot is a little more fun. Both my kids are involved in the local indoor percussion ensemble. They will be competing at the
world level this year. I get to live vicariously through them! Plus whatever stories crop up. I may even post some older fun stories.

The journey begins now.

No comments:

Post a Comment