Thursday, September 15, 2011

Nationals Day 1

The morning started with cold miserable drizzle. We took the motorboat to the club, had the skippers meeting and came back to the cottage to set sail.

The wind was light at 6-8 with maybe a 10 here and there. Northwest with lots of shifts meant a real head game, not a speed race.

I started very badly and rounded mark 1 38th. I stayed about there for three legs with all kinds of bad air. On the last downwind I picked up 8, and on the last upwind another 10 and finished 21.

Race 2 was more of the same. I won the pin, really winning it, taking it with me. When I rerounded I dragged it downwind to let others by. They owe me beer. At the top mark I was about 15th. I picked up boats throughout the race getting to 10th at the last mark, and 8th or so mid final leg. I lost three at the line to finish 11th. I was in 15th overall at the break at lunch.

The wind picked up for race three. I was second to the pin at the start and soon took over the left most position. I was 5th at the top mark, 3rd at mark 2, 4th at mark 3, 2nd at the last mark and held that to the finish.

Overall it was a good first day. I'm not as high in the standings as I hoped but not bad.

Not much more time to post. I have to go drink now.

No comments:

Post a Comment