Friday, September 16, 2011

Nationals Day 2

Started with rain and light air, ended with sun and light air. In the middle we had light air.

The class limit for starting a race is a minimum of 5 mph wind. We waited all day to find 5 in a direction that worked. In the end we started in wind that wasn't very good. I started at the pin second row laying the mark. The first time I got a header I tacked out left. I went about 20 seconds and went back on port just above the guy in front of me. I rolled him, then was the left most boat when the puff came from the left. I actually reached down to the mark rounding first.

Downwind was really a reach follow-the-leader (me) which I held the length of the course. Rounding the bottom mark they gave me a gun and finished the race.

The controversy was rampant. On shore the race was "abandoned" by the race committee. That was then protested by a competitor. The protest hearing found no grounds to throw out the race.

I now sit 7th (35 points) only 4 points out of second (31 points). There are three people with 31 points, and two with 32 points.

It was an emotional roller coaster. But in the end I won a race at a national regatta. It may always have a big asterisk after it but I won. The score is official and final. I feel good.

Tomorrow there is no wind forecast. If we sail it will be in a thermal South wind. By Noon I will know final results.

No comments:

Post a Comment