Monday, July 9, 2012

Another Exhausting Day

E-Scows: 1 race, 1st place
MC-Scows: 3 races, finishes of 1, 1, 1

Sunday was the third race day in 8, and all were exhausting. When I awoke Sunday morning about 8:30 there was no wind. In fact while I was awake from 1:30 - 3:30 watching and listening to the flotilla party off our shore there was also no wind. When I awoke on the deck at 5:30 there was no wind. So I was in no mood to sail a drifter. In fact I was lazy getting to the club. but on the way over the North wind started to show up, but not very strong.

We launched and headed for the starting line. The RC successfully placed the line in the exact spot on the lake where there was no wind, the confluence of the two branches. The too-short line had North wind at the pin, and NNE at the boat. But in reality there was little to no wind. So the RC postponed. For about 1/2 an hour we waited, then opted to try anyway.

Race 1: The start was unusual with a right shift, line square to the mark, and air down the left side of the course. Anywhere on the line was probably fine but getting left sooner was the key. but with the right shift 4 of the 6 boats ended up over early. We even were early missing the pin and having to circle around. But the general recall saved us. On start 2, we were pushed over early and had to bail out over the top of Cole to dip start. I think we made it down to dip cleanly but we were again recalled. That is 2 recalls in one day, actually 2 recalls in probably 10 years.

By start 3 the wind had picked up. We held back but still were very very close to the line. In fact after the race I found out at the gun half the starting pin was hidden by our bow making us exactly on the line. We went left, lost a little time on boat speed, and barely held on to be 3rd at the top mark behind William Hudson and Bob Cole. On the run Hudson and Cole ahead of us played a bit with each other letting us close the gap. We rounded second nose to tail between Hudson and Cole. Upwind every inch counted. We seemed to hold our own against Hudson and picked up some distance on Cole. At the long layline from the left corner Hudson overstood. But he was able to reach down and blanket us, as we also did to Cole. We rounded 5 lengths behind Hudson and 8 ahead of Cole. We quickly closed the gap to Hudson as they had some boat handling issues. But we were unable to clear below them so we did a quick double gybe to clear. We didn't lose that much but it wasn't the move to let us pass. At the bottom mark we were all about the same still, maybe closer.

The final beat would decide the race. Off the bottom mark Hudson led out on port. We followed for 10 seconds or so then tacked first. Hudson tacked right away to cover. We got headed as we wet left and also climbed high putting Hudson in our dirty air. He tacked right and we went left. That split put Hudson on top of Cole out to the right and us alone left. We got the better wind and won the race by 10 seconds or so.

MC-SCOWS

In the afternoon the wind held 8-12 with occasional short shots to maybe 14. It was a nice wind with smaller passing lanes, very competitive. A couple E-Scow skippers were missing including bob Cole and William Hudson as they continued to pack up their E-Scows for next weekend's regatta.

Race 1 (2 long laps) I won the pin and went left. But the 5 other boats were right on my hip locking me out left. I struggled to get enough speed to be able to tack and cross. A little past the layline I went for it barely clearing. I tracked down and sped into the mark getting there 1 length ahead of Brent Penwarden. I rounded hard and protected the inside at the next mark from the moment I rounded the top mark. Brent nearly passed me a number of times but I would then drift behind him and blanket him reclaiming the inside. We rounded nose to tail at the bottom mark and spent most of the next leg side by side. On the last tack to the mark I was able to just cover a bit and walk away to a 6-8 length lead at the mark. I held on to that to the finish. It took until the mid point of the run before I was comfortable. Brent is getting faster by the day.

Race 2 (1 shorter lap) started in much lighter air but quickly built back up. I was 1 up from the pin and was slow. At the layline I had to tack and hard duck Steve Bender. Brent Penwarden tried to tack below me but I was already bow down and simply went over him when I came up. I ground out a lead at the top mark and held on to win.

Race 3 (1 shorter lap) I tried to stay boat end but got caught up in traffic. So I reached hard and got to the pin to win it. The it was pretty much the same. I had to get the 2 boat lengths on Brent and Steve to get the lead by the top mark which I held onto for the win.

So for the first time in quite awhile I had an undefeated day. For the season now I have five wins and a second. It feels good. but my body certainly is rebelling. It could have been worse with 2 E-Scow races and 4 MC races.

Next week is light with no E-Scows and a light MC fleet. But I think I will try to get some good exercise between now and then, maybe keeping up with what little arm strength building I have done in the past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment