Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4, 2012

Winds SW 5-10. Forecast 10-20 SW. GoPro camera onboard for E-Scows.


George started mid line aiming to go left. Bob Cole started toward the boat. William Hudson toward the pin. Others sailed but were not a factor in either race. Bob out to the right got a little better wind. On the first cross he was ahead. On the second cross we picked him up. Coming back to the layline bob tacked short of us and accelerated better to lead at the top mark followed by us then William.


Our set was less than stellar. We lost distance on Bob. On the rest of the leg we struggled for speed while Bob sailed lower and faster. The rest of the race stayed like that with us making some gains then losing more. In the end we lost by about 30 seconds.


Race 2 was more of the same. But this time we led at the top mark and extended. At the bottom mark the wind went crazy Ivan. We escaped with only a small lead. Half way upwind Crazy Ivan reappeared and Bob  scooted through and below us. But the silliness continued. We were 8-10 boat lengths to the West and behind. And just like that we got a shot, rode over the top of Bob and the race was over. The wind clocked right for awhile. We led the next two marks and held on through the some more crazy stuff to win.


After just 2 days of sailing Steve Brown is showing real promise. We are talking details with him rather than big things. The boat is moving well enough for the old boat that it is.


MC-Scow sailing was more of the same but a little more West. 11 boats including John Anderson's first time out.


Start 1 was a quick 1-lap short course. I wanted mid line on starboard, which I timed well, I think. I suspect I was over the line and the RC was very lenient. But my number was never called and I was scored a finish. I rounded the top mark just a length or two in front of William Hudson. He proceeded to spank my butt all the way down to the leeward mark. Lucky for me he missed the board drop, rounded wide and slow and I was actually able to pass outside and go on to win.


Race 2 (2 laps) I was more conservative but still on the line. I was sort of holding the fleet on starboard. I was somehow just able to flop to port first and scoot ahead of the fleet and round in the lead. Brent rounded just behind me, I think. Tough to remember. I held the lead to the bottom mark. On the windward leg I was the first to tack on the header splitting a bit. From there I stayed exactly in phase on every tack and watched the fleet tack on lifts and drive wrong ways all the way up. I rounded minutes ahead of second. From there I coasted to a long lead win.


Race 3 was another 2 lap. The line was port favored. So I started on Starboard mid line. I was bow out and going well but held out left much farther than I wanted to go. Brent went way right and led at the top mark with me second. He held that to the bottom mark. On the long windward I worked out to the right of him crossing ahead with only 1/4 of the leg remaining. I rounded 3-4 lengths in front of him. I promptly lost that distance on the run and we rounded close at the bottom. I was ahead and on top of him when I got a nice big header. I was expecting it and tacked for the finish line. Brent did not. I quickly got headed. We split to opposite sides. I expected my SW shift and Brent expected his NW. He got his wish and reached into the finish 5 lengths clear ahead of me.


So on the day it was 2, 1, 1, 1, 2 for finishes. Very nice. Very tiring. Time for a double rum and some fireworks.





No comments:

Post a Comment