Sunday, February 7, 2010

First Regatta is an Eye Opener

The Train Wreck regatta is in the books. Unfortunately Mother Nature didn't allow us to complete more than 2 races.

The day started with tempatures in the 40's, and winds in the upper teens. The direction had shifted to Northwest making the wind offshore and much more tolerable while on shore. We started drinking early Saturday so the party was over by 9:30 or so. Plenty of sleep still didn't help the aches and pains from the prior day's aborted race. We found out we sailed in 23-25 and it piped up to over 30 as we tried to get boats out of the water. It remained 25-35 all day.

The first race I had a second row start but was able to immediately clear my air. I played the major shifts and struggled to find the groove in this cute little boat. It was an eye-opener when I was able to both pass the hot shots and get passed by not-so-hot shots. Shifting gears was tough. I was working the boat like an E-Scow, over trimming the vang, cunningham, and outhaul. Then over loosening all as well.

I rounded in the top 10, lost a couple downwind (I don't know how to go fast there yet), and pretty much picked up afew upwind and lost them downwind. I finished 10th ahead of a couple people that doubted I would be able to hang with the big boys.

It was so cold my exposed skin was purple with white splotched. I simply do not have the gear for the cold. On the way back down to the finish I relaxed to try to save my energy for two more races. Of course I then got colder. By the start I was uncontrolably shivering at times. But the workout helped.

Unfortunately the start was bad, again. I cleared by was driven where I did not want to go. I rounded the top mark about 15th. At the mark my board did not go down and my mainsheet knotted. I was able to get the board down before I hit the mark. But the knot meant I lost a lot of time and position. Through the entire day, I lost probably 15 boats on simple boat handling issues. Many I could regain when back in control. But I ended up 20th in the second race, a very poor showing. The third and final race was my last chance to break the top ten, which was my goal.

The sun came out, the wind got shifty, the Race Committee did their best but the deadline came and went with no start. So I ended up 13th overall out of something like 32 boats. Not as good as I wanted, but I got noticed.

I have ridiculous aches and pains. I need to lose more weight and do a LOT to get in shape. I met a lot of great people, made some new friends, and now have my new boat in the parking lot of the hotel.

Mile 1490 complete. 1250 miles to go until I'm home. Three days of work here in Jacksonville might allow me to recover enough before hitting the road home Thursday.


pic 1: Who needs a cover!

pic 2 & 3: packed up..

No comments:

Post a Comment