Saturday, February 6, 2010

PURCHASED THE BOAT

(published a bit late)

I arrived at Lake Eustis Sailing Club yesterday mid morning to find it pretty busy, but only a couple boats on the lake. From the car I saw the occasional white cap. On Keuka that means a nice steady 8-10 or puffs of 12. That would be perfect for the first day out. Then I opened the car door and it was almost ripped out of my hands. It was blowing 15-18 with puffs well into the 20’s.

I met Greg and purchased the boat. The thing about one-designs is that the less distinctive a boat is the more appealing. There is nothing different from factory new on this boat other than one zipper handle on the cover broke. I’m very pleased.

After a quick listen to the weather radio I decided to wait and see. The front was passing through late afternoon and that would not help. So the non-sailing activities started. We kicked the first keg by 3:00. It’s a great bunch of guys.

Last night’s dinner was at Crazy Gator followed by raw oysters at the Oyster Troff where Princess (her real name) was slinging beers and a guy was able to shuck oysters and drink beer with only two hands and never lost a finger. I learned that Bob is bottomless. After drinking through the afternoon, he proceeded to have two dinners of all-you-can-eat fish fry, a couple dozen oysters, and a few pitchers of beer. Unbelievable.

This morning the weather is very different. It is sunny, cooler, and looks like winds about 13-16 from the West. The forecast is for this to build a bit more then die down. I don’t care. I’m just happy to be sailing in February.

1 comment:

  1. Remember the 2 happiest days in a boat-owner's life: the day he buys the boat, and the day he sells it.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete