Sunday, August 8, 2010

No Excuses Anymore - But I Can Find A Few More

Finishes today of 1, 1, 2, 3, 2. Nine points in 5 races with only 5 boats is not really a good day.

Race one was a charm. The wind was up, maybe 12-18 mph. Knowing I needed to crack off hard to stay upright, I chose to be the left most boat. I think I have the heavy wind dialed in now. I sailed it like a finn, tracked WAY down (loose at times), over trimmed, no vang. The boom drive the mast forward hard making the sail flatten right out. Outhaul and cunningham are still a mystery. I took the outhaul to the tape (max) and cunningham about half the cloth. It looked like there was a reef in the sail with a whole lot folded up at the base. But it was fast. I walked up, got room to tack first, actually overstood the mark. I was first by a load and just cruised the rest of the race.

Race 2 was starting to show holes in the wind. I did the exact same start and first leg to lead again. It wasn't as much of a lead but it was enough. So after two races I'm feeling pretty good. But every time I think about seeing a sweep day (my gaol now) I blow it. This was no different.

Next race I led to the leeward mark with only Brent right behind me after Sean did a spectacular death roll half way down the leg. Brent tacked left upwind on the last leg. I covered. We both sailed the wrong way, but had plenty of distance to burn. Unfortunately we burned too much. I finished second when Brent G went right and caught a nice shift.

I screwed up the start of race 4 and was 5 seconds late at the boat. Brent P split right and found a nice wind. I tacked under him on the layline, but had to tack 2 lengths short of him to stay in clear air. I didn't make the mark. I rounded 2nd, then lost Steve downwind. I closed to 20 seconds at the bottom mark still saying to myself the race wasn't over. They went left to play with each other, I went right and proceeded to turn the 20 seconds into 2 minutes. Oh well.

Last race was time to redeem myself. I went left off the start, tacked quickly on a header and crossed the others. But Brent P went right off the start. We came together with me ducking him this time and tacking after I crossed. We got to the top mark 1 length ahead of me. Downwind I lost ground on him, frustratingly. Trying anything at the bottom didn't help. Finishes were set.

I won the day, but there were lots of issues. I replayed everything in my head on the long sail downwind to the cottage. Weeds on the rudder for 2 races - CHECK OFTEN you loser (me). The sail...when the air lightened up it was miserable. Shape was impossible to get. It is now off the b oat. I think I will switch to the new sail for the next couple weeks. Tell tales - they were useless. The bailing twine lasted a couple months but it is dead now. I need to load up the sail and the stays with real tell tales.

But the real issue was between my ears. Sail the wind. Stop pulling moves that are stupid. Extend. Close the gap. Whatever. Quit pulling a Spear move when losing.

I also took a chunk out of the deck today when I had to run back inside for my watch. The dock was merciless.

The family was at Buffalo Bills Stadium watching DCA competition. I could be there with friends and family. Why do I sail?

No comments:

Post a Comment